Phonics – Read Write Inc.
Your Willen Primary School Read Write Inc Reading Leader is Mrs Bennett.
At Willen Primary School our teachers and LSAs carry out the programme effectively with small groups of children. These groups are organised according to their specific needs, and the specific sounds and letters are taught in fun and engaging ways.
Each session lasts 30 minutes and includes a variety of activities delivered with pace and rigour. Children have the opportunity to learn sounds which are reinforced during the session with reading and writing activities – learning is put into practise.
As children progress through the levels, they are regularly assessed to ensure they are placed in groups most appropriate for them. If a child is found to be struggling, 1 to 1 sessions are arranged for him/her to catch up with the group. Children may also be ‘fast-tracked’ to a more able group when their progress warrants this.
How can I help my child?
Children find it easier to learn to read and spell if they are taught pure sounds. You might like to watch this youtube video to make sure you are using the correct pure sounds with your child at home:
What is Read Write Inc Phonics?
Five key principles underpin the teaching in all Read Write Inc. sessions:
1) Participation – As they are in small groups, children participate fully in every session. They are able to maintain high levels of concentration and they do not miss key elements of the teaching.
2) Praise – Children work together as partners. They take turns to teach and praise each other. They are motivated by praise from their teachers.
3) Pace – Sessions never drag. The lively pace keeps every child fully engaged and on task.
4) Purpose – Every teacher uses Read Write Inc. methods. They know the purpose of each activity, and how it leads into the next.
5) Passion – Instructors, too, become passionate about their teaching as they see the children enjoying the progress they are making.